SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:42 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

why is it you see more belt drives than gear box reductions?
i plan to buy a boat with a 500 cadillac its direct drive now. but
eventually i'll probably put a reduction of some sort on. i think
i would rather have the gear box. is one better than the other?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:50 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Truth be told there are 5 to 1 gearboxes here in florida. Texas has a dealer who has always sold belt drives due to preference so the belts rule texas. I prefer the gear for much less (40 lbs) weight, torque countered by engine going left and prop going right, and more ratio choices. The belts ARE getting more ratios though and in a huge boat the torque roll is not as pronounced. Belts are quieter except for the latest new soft touch drives.

Maddog

Last edited by Ruagatr on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:53 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

so that explains it. the one i was looking at is a rotator. 1.7 to 1
thats about the ratio i've heard is good for the caddy's. i've noticed
the gear boxes kind of whine. but i think it sounds cool. haha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:54 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

the gear box i was looking at was 1695 btw. whats a belt drive compare in cost. any idee?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:58 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

That gearbox price must be used or an older 1 inch wide gear rotator not the 2 inch built now. The belt costs about 1800 if memory serves.

Maddog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:54 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

The reason gear boxes are not popular in Texas is there were several failures, when they were first tried. Today I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:22 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Rotator has a special going on with the 1.7 ratio. They are like 1700 right now and that is for a soft drive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:40 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Thanks TIGO...didnt know. Maybe if they posted on here with regularity we would know... :idea:

Maddog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:34 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Belt drives have been around longer in "mass" production.

We have both.I run gears on my boats.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:57 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

In my opinion there is only 1 gear box... I can only afford to do things once, so I have to buy the best. Product and customer service to boot was well worth the few extra bucks by getting with "dantheairboatman" on this site. I wouldn't even consider a belt on any boat I own. Just my opinion.

Continental powered Performance hull.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:50 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

If I ever try a gear box again it will come from Dan.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:06 pm 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

rbjscott wrote:
The reason gear boxes are not popular in Texas is there were several failures, when they were first tried. Today I don't know.

Belt drives had their problems as well when they first hit the scene. Dad was the GM at Panther when the belt drives first came out and he had people and parts sent all over the country repairing them. As with anything, it takes time to perfect something. In my opinion, gear boxes of today are just as reliable and perform a little better as well...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:13 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

A stinger is my choice, but they are all good in there own way. I can tell you, you'll have a hard time beating Dan at customer service. I won't even look at another box. Feels to much like cheatin' on your wife to me...jmo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:38 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

when i get the gear box i may just have to
buy from ol Dan. Seems to be several of
folks here that really like Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:20 pm 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Yep, I don't think you can go wrong dealing with Dan. Other companies should take notice of the way he does things...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:23 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

T. Gaffney wrote:
Yep, I don't think you can go wrong dealing with Dan. Other companies should take notice of the way he does things...

AMEN!

Continental powered Performance hull.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:50 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

yobee wrote:
In my opinion there is only 1 gear box... I can only afford to do things once, so I have to buy the best. Product and customer service to boot was well worth the few extra bucks by getting with "dantheairboatman" on this site. I wouldn't even consider a belt on any boat I own. Just my opinion.

Dan Has my vote as well I went from a belt to a stinger drive on my big boat the difference in performance is night and day. Took a bunch of weight out of my boat as well. I have stinger gear boxes on both of my boats love im. My budy has a rotator you can hear it coming before you hear the motor it sounds like a jet turbine. Better to spend the money and get it right the first time . Doing it twice cheap is not the solution. 352-206-5887 Dan the man

Ride boat 14 ft Don Davis Davis sled iron sbc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:51 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

RiseAboveIt wrote:
A stinger is my choice, but they are all good in there own way. I can tell you, you'll have a hard time beating Dan at customer service. I won't even look at another box. Feels to much like cheatin' on your wife to me...jmo

Hey its ok if you cheat on Dan .. cause he is just like your wife ... he knows you wll come beggin back wantin to make a deal ROFLMAO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:54 pm 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

anvil wrote:
yobee wrote:

Dan Has my vote as well I went from a belt to a stinger drive on my big boat the difference in performance is night and day. Took a bunch of weight out of my boat as well. I have stinger gear boxes on both of my boats love im. My budy has a rotator you can hear it coming before you hear the motor it sounds like a jet turbine. Better to spend the money and get it right the first time . Doing it twice cheap is not the solution. 352-206-5887 Dan the man

And there it is... :lol:

You know, I was taught at a very young age to never, ever down another mans boat. I don't think it's right to make someone feel like there boat isn't as good as mine because they don't have what I do. I have personally owned quite a few rotators and never had a single problem as well as many others on this forum. However, Dan does go the extra mile and deserves the credit he receives and my next box will probably be a stinger.

People that have owned airboats and been around the industry for more than a year or two know why some will never go near a rotator. There was a bad history there and that is exactly what it is now...history. One of the nicest ladies I have ever met in my life owns that company now and I know she will do what's right. We'll just have to see if the rest of the employees will put the company first as well...

Please don't take this the wrong way because i'm not picking on ya Anvil. I just don't think it's fair to call the other one cheap or no good. Just my opinion. Really, i'm not pickin. I heard you were a pretty big fella! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:00 am 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

and he builds knives too .. and carries a gun LOL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:09 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

We wish everyone the best from over here as well. :) Thanks to all who speak highly of me. I feel it is more than I deserve. As anvil says if I was having anymore fun it would take two of me to enjoy it :D

Dan@352 812 2239

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:10 am 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

cntry141iq wrote:
and he builds knives too .. and carries a gun LOL

Yeah, I thought about that. He lives in the same town my moms side of the family has been in for 5 generations too. Not really a whole lot of places to hide in Crescent City! Hope I don't have to keep lookin behind me when I go visit Grandma! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:12 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Cnrty your wisdom and level of exspereance scares me :mrgreen:

Dan@352 812 2239

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:16 am 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

dantheairboatman wrote:
We wish everyone the best from over here as well. :) Thanks to all who speak highly of me. I feel it is more than I deserve. As anvil says if I was having anymore fun it would take two of me to enjoy it :D

Well, you're a lucky man. When you are doing something you love to make a living, it shows in all aspects. I hope to have your kind of success one day because I can promise you what i'm doing now feels like work! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:21 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

T. Gaffney wrote:
anvil wrote:
yobee wrote:

And there it is... :lol:

You know, I was taught at a very young age to never, ever down another mans boat. I don't think it's right to make someone feel like there boat isn't as good as mine because they don't have what I do. I have personally owned quite a few rotators and never had a single problem as well as many others on this forum. However, Dan does go the extra mile and deserves the credit he receives and my next box will probably be a stinger.

People that have owned airboats and been around the industry for more than a year or two know why some will never go near a rotator. There was a bad history there and that is exactly what it is now...history. One of the nicest ladies I have ever met in my life owns that company now and I know she will do what's right. We'll just have to see if the rest of the employees will put the company first as well...

Please don't take this the wrong way because i'm not picking on ya Anvil. I just don't think it's fair to call the other one cheap or no good. Just my opinion. Really, i'm not pickin. I heard you were a pretty big fella! :mrgreen:

your are right I could have worded that differently. I dont mind picking on lyns rotator boat it is the one I borrow when I am working on the evil twins. Lyns boat was the reason I did not buy a gear box right away. Could be his is the only box that makes that much noise. I just feel Dan has a superior product and stands behind it. I meant no disrespect to the rotator crew. I have spent lots of hours being pushed around lake george by a want to be jet engine. Ear plugs are cheap. I stand corrected.

Ride boat 14 ft Don Davis Davis sled iron sbc