SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arrowprops or RND props
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:10 pm 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

I'm about to order a prop for my mini both told me to go with a 60x36. Have you guys had any problems with these companies? Thanks for the help Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:48 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I was looking at arrowprop also. Spoke to them on the phone and they seemed very helpful. What HP are you running with the 60" prop. Just curious, I am looking for one for about 100 Hp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:06 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I spoke with the guy from RND and Arrow and both were very informative and very helpful. The only difference seem to be a small price difference. I am also getting a 60" prop from one of the two and running about a 30hp with a reduction. If it's something you need in a hurry you might want to check if they are backed up. Arrow said it will prob. take close to 6 weeks. Other than that either one seems to be a good buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:08 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Here is an old post.

http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB2/v ... highlight=

Drill ANWR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:12 pm 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Just curious, Have you thought about running a Warp Drive on your mini. They are easy to spin up and they are adjustable, and a lot stronger than wood. Cajun has one for his mini. I think his motor is making around 50 to 60 HP. They can be cut down to desired length.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:14 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

goldhunter_2 wrote:
Ok I said I would tell ya'll what the results where with the RND prop so here goes

I spoke with Robin on the telephone a few times seems like a very nice and helpful person so on a 1 to 10 scale ten being the best I would say he got a 9.5 in that category

Turn around meaning how fats he was able to get to the prop and get it out the door when he said. I give him a 9.8 he was behind one day but said that was because UPS didn't pickup for some reason that day, no big deal

Packaging 8

looks of the prop 9.9

Hubbing for the LXL bolt pattern. I have to say I was a little disappointed here maybe I was expecting to much think I could just bolt it straight up without having to spend the after noon on the drill press . it works but I am not so happy with it just a honest opinion. I would rate this area as a low 3

3M leading edge tape provided. first this was free 3m gave it to him to try and he gave it to me to try I had to install it my self but hey it was free :D I was not very happy with this product it went on fairly easy and I do not see any marks in the leading edge after 3 1/2 hrs run time but the tape it self is not staying secure as you can see in the pictures. the positive point of this product are it's free, easy to install I would assume easy to replace and thus far no damage under the taped leading edges so I rate this at a 3M product at a 6

Tip lamination , I was given a choice of two colors red or black could have probably gotten any color as Robin seems easy to work with but Black worked for me. Both the tips have cornered after about 15 minutes run time 5 of that has been on the trailer the tips have not shattered but the outside Lamination has pealed back about two coats at this time My personal rating on this is a 4

Price well for me it was not such a good deal need less to say I am now looking for another prop but for $265 ship with a max Dia of 66 inch prop it may not be a real bad choice for someone with a smaller engine and much higher clearance for the prop. if I had a small sled with a 90 or 125 on it I may try one of his again just because of the price. anyway for price I would rate at 9

few other info notes for anyone interested:
total test time 3 1/2 hours run time
Tip Damage accrued within first 15 minutes
RPM range during test time was average 2000 and did go down to idea 600 rpms and max 2900 rpms
Boat hull 12 glass with poly
Load me 147lbs and my dog 95lb lab
engine 4 cyl Continental with 470 jugs 180hp

here are a few pictures of the RND 66x36

Drill ANWR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:50 pm 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

The arrow props I have seen use a harder wood and can do the metal tip and leading edge RND can't

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:14 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

There was a pretty good wait (5-6 weeks), but I'm really happy with my Arrowprop. It seems to be very well built.

Dave, out in the sticks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:49 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Arrowprop makes a very good propeller. The secret to a great wooden propeller is actually to have a lot of epoxy in it.
Wooden props that don't have a lot of laminations in them are weaker than a solid wood prop unless the maker has VERY
carefully selected the wood for the core blank.

Every seen a wooden prop where one blade was an inch or two shorter than the other? That's because the density of the wood
in the core blank was heavier in one end than the other and they had to shorten it on that end to try and make it balance.

A fine wooden propeller, probably more than anything else I can think of, is worth every penny extra that you'll pay for it.
In my opinion, for fractional horsepower engines, Tennessee Prop is the best. They cost more, but they're worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:53 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Nothing bad to say about Arrow props other than the performance rating on their props is a little high.

Next time I need a wood prop I am going to give Valley Engineering a try. They bought Culver Props old templates and equipment. I used Culver props exclusively in the past until they quit making them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:31 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

I WOULD NOT RUN A ARROW PROP ON MY WINDOW FAN!!! IF YA WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE and several props of thiers I have seen PM me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:32 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Check with Phillip Joiner at the show, he will be the one with that new mini hull rigged out. I think he had dealings recently with Arrow and another prop dealer for props on his mini's and I swear I forgot what he told me but , something not so good about one of them. Later, Cajun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:47 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

airboat_Mike wrote:
I WOULD NOT RUN A ARROW PROP ON MY WINDOW FAN!!! IF YA WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE and several props of thiers I have seen PM me

:D I tried to be a little nicer about it but I was thinking about the same.