SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: SUNK.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:31 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Well it finally happend Sunk the boat in the Rio Grande, the current caused it to roll so wondering what Now?? I cant get the boat out until wed. so it the motor finnished??? any advise or help would be great.

Post subject: Re: SUNK.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:04 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

If its a car motor you might get by flushing it with diesel me n my old man sunk one of our boats had it up n flushed out the next day n running used a awhile n traded it off

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:12 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

What part of the river were you on? It may not be there Wednesday. Is it in an area deep enough to get a big boat to it? I'll gladly come down to help you out except for Tuesday...I have a meeting I can't miss.

My 2010 chevy sucked water in thru the air intake once, and bent a couple rods. That's my only experience with water in an engine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:40 am 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Aren't car motors like fiberglass hulls you just use them for awhile then throw them away and get something else :lol: :lol: :stirpot: seriously though anytime a motor is underwater essippaly for that long you would be amazed at how much sand a slit gets in there even if you think you have it flushed out , personal I recommend pulling the motor complete aparts and cleaning it p

Another thing to think about if you have good current in the river is that if the boat is still there Wednesday and no logs or other bats have hit it, then it will probably be half way buried in the bottom of the river bed .

IMHO best thing to do is at least roll it upright then drag it to the shoreline and up on a bank at least then its out of harms way

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Was out hunting yesterday n sunk my boat as well. Just a corner though. No motor diving under;) i would do whst was recommended n pull thst motor apart. Seen some go down, flush out, ride on. Seen some motors worn slap out after diving. Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Sorry to hear about you sinking your boat. Why can't you get it out right away, instead of having to wait until wednesday. I'm sure there are lots of other airboaters in the area that will be happy to help you pull it out tomorrow. Bud

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, 496 BBC, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:44 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

I sunk the boat on a place where the Rio Grande Meets a lake called Elephant butte, I wasnt driving guy hust was scared taking a turn and then gased it and turned the wrong way. I was just glad neither one of us got HURT. As far as getting it out the NM state rangers or park -police are POS... That have two big airboats howvere since no one was hurt or stranded they will not help get it out. the only person who thinks hell be able to get to it wont be back in town until tues night. Deepest part is chest deep and shallow part about 6-8 inches i was pulling it try to get it to a sand bar and get the water out and it finally hit the bottom and stuck luckly if the current does take it there too many curves for it to make it to the lake.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

If it were me, I'd be out there with a couple friends, truck tire tubes and a compressor before I would leave it for 5 days for nature and other people to do their worst.

Wish you luck

Stainless rigged

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Stainless rigged

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:15 pm 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

does anybody there have a winch, and are you close enough to shore to winch off of something solid. maybe even get a winch from a rental shop. I carry a lewis winch up here, that runs off chain saw. somebody down there might have one, or a capstin type winch. even a come along should drag it out if there if something solid to connect onto. theres lots you can be doing in 3 days that will prevent a lot of damage from happening over the next 3 days. bury a anchor on the sand bar and winch off of it. lots of options here. Bud

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, 496 BBC, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:59 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

I agree, gotta get it out asap.. drain everything asap and fill it full of oil for awhile and drain again.. hope u didnt bend any rods or push rods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:13 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

unfourtunatly the last few weeks of rain has flooded all the land about 1000m on both sides and its the type of mud that you sink down to your wait in. There are two other airboats in the area that i know of and belong to the NM state park rangers one of which is in beaumont tx being fixed as they sunk it a few months ago and the other there not willing to help saying they cant risk sinking it helping me out. there is a salvage guy around i have talked too and swears he can get it out but not until weds. where its at no one can get to it to steal it of mess it up thank god. it was me and another guy on the boat and the 5 mile hike about killed us. but like i said before at least we werent hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:05 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Looks like a nasty flood plain there (google maps) North End? Be lucky if its not filled to the brim with silt by Wednesday.

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 153.35 KiB | Viewed 8422 times ]

Stainless rigged

Last edited by Junker on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:09 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I sank my boat with a 500 caddy 8 yr ago i killed the motor before it sinked took home filled with clean oil tuned over by hand and changed oil been runing sense. My son was at ft. bliss for 4yr just go out in march intubes and beach balls work well good luck thanks for your service

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

I just noticed you were out of El Paso...for some reason I was thinking you were in S. Texas.

Hope you get it out safely!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:06 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

looks like im having to hike back out to it with a tent in my pack anf a sleepin bag and going to try to dig it out as i go getting it closer to the mouth of the river its pretty much inaccessable other than hiring a helo and im a soldier not a millinare. the park rangers called me today and told me to just cut my losses. I cant do that took me too many deployments to buy my boat! come hell or high water ill get her back. I will give yall an update when I can Thanks to all for info and help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:14 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Man........with all the smack I hear out of all the Texans on here, I figured they would have been circling the wagons around your boat by now........ :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident.......we have all done it a time or 2....... :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:19 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

glad to hear you are going to try something . my son is infantry and you guys dont give up. good luck!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:09 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Thanks for the idea, Im going to make the 5 mile hike with an anchor 100ft rappeling rope and tent, going to use the anchor and dig it in every 40 ft or so using the come along and get it to the only flat spot about 2000m away. then use the anchor and come along to wench it up on the flat spot and drain ol girl, then use the same idea to get her back in the water and float her down to the mouth and get a tow in. Only issue is its going to be a solo mission as all my soldiers are unavailable at the moment. Going to suck butt however worth every drop of blood sweat and tears.
@ Dougeey - I am a Sniper platoon sgt in a light disomunted recon infantry company most of us will NEVER quit until we finish our mission. Please thank your son for his service to our country.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:19 pm 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

if you could borrow a john boat form someone on base take a compressor and tie some inner tubes to cage, lower engine stand ,under bow as well and inflate it will make a lot less winching

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:37 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

I have seen jetski's pull sunk boats off the bottom if you can get your hands on one...goodluck :salute:

If you don't have pictures,then it didn't happen

13' Performance Airboat AV 0540 3 bld 72" NGH
U
S
F
T
H

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:03 am 
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

what happened to your friend who sunk the boat, won't he go with you to try and rescue it? Bud

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:33 am 
Southern Airboat Member

First I want to thank you for your service to our country. If I lived a little closer I would defiantly help you out. I will be praying for your safety and for you to be successful in the recovery of your boat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:18 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Sunk my old car motor twice. Once out change fluids get it turning over. Once running change oils agian after it gets hot.

ok if you have to get come-along and roap. Sink a pole in the ground on an angle slowly crank her out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:50 am 
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Curtis I'm so sorry to hear this, it really sucks. Wish I could do something for you.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 626 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next