SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back to my Continentals!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:59 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Well finally got back to the boxes of parts and started sorting stuff out. The O470 is going to end up with 3 chrome cylinders and 3 steel ones by the looks of it. The chrome cylinders are beautiful and 3 of my steel cylinders are beautiful. The other steel ones would work but have some minor pitting to moderate pitting soo... What would be the preferred arrangement when mixing cylinders? 3 chrome on one side and steel on the other or does it really matter?

The 520 conversion looks like it will keep the low compression pistons. The worst ring side clearance on one piston with the old rings is .008" so I'm thinking that should do. Buddy of mine is a welding instructor at the Trade school so he asked a co-worker in the machinist department if I could get my O-470 case bore and he is willing to go in with me on a Saturday to mill the case for a ride on the river.

If anyone needs a set of NEW standard 535133 domed pistons shipped to your door for say $250
still covered in packing wax, and yeah i'll put it in the classifieds.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:57 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

ive never see them mixed 3 and 3 but ive seen them 2 and 4 !! just what they had they say chrome takes longer for rings to seat !! cant see it effecting it .. jmo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:01 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Yeah guys I talked to said it wouldn't make any difference. 520 gets all the nicest parts but the 470 should run pretty nice too!
Just want to get rid of the scatter around the shop and get them built. I have read some posts where guys are happy with thier low compression 520's. I'll just give it a shot of N20 if I need more. Wanna run pump gas anyway.
Get em built and sealed and start working on the hulls!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:11 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

I am curious as to why Continentals were never popular here in Louisiana. They seem to be doing you guys all the justice in the world. I have only seen one boat with a Continental on it in this state and that was well over 20 years ago. It was in Venice, LA that I saw it. Just wondering.........

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:48 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Will work fine, just be SURE to run the correct rings, steel and chrome require different rings or they will never seat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:48 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

kajunoutlaw wrote:
I am curious as to why Continentals were never popular here in Louisiana. They seem to be doing you guys all the justice in the world. I have only seen one boat with a Continental on it in this state and that was well over 20 years ago. It was in Venice, LA that I saw it. Just wondering.........

NOT THE RIGHT WEATHER !!!FOR THEM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:48 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Some states they outlawed continentals they proved to be too powerfull for your average boater comeonnnnnnnn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:18 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Blownaway540 wrote:
Will work fine, just be SURE to run the correct rings, steel and chrome require different rings or they will never seat.

Yeah I have a full set of chrome rings here, changing my mind on the jugs means I have to buy rings for the chrome jugs.
Just have to do it, like I say I end up with 6 perfect jugs on the engine this way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:08 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Bill, you might scatter them through the firing order (every other?) ...... that might make the engine a little smoother runnin' until all the compression evens out with ring seating. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:15 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

JAMES wrote:
kajunoutlaw wrote:

What??? How the Hell you figure that?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:14 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Olf Art wrote:
Bill, you might scatter them through the firing order (every other?) ...... that might make the engine a little smoother runnin' until all the compression evens out with ring seating. Just a thought.

Funny thing! if I install chrome on 1 side and steel on the other each running mate will include a steel and chrome cylinder. Every combustion event will alternate steel chrome steel chrome etc. Dont know if it matters but cant imagine it hurting.

Post subject: Back to my Continentals!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:33 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Tony480 wrote:
JAMES wrote:
kajunoutlaw wrote:

tony you didn't know they were restricted to Florida's air space only?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:52 am 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Wild Bill wrote:
Olf Art wrote:

Funny thing! if I install chrome on 1 side and steel on the other each running mate will include a steel and chrome cylinder. Every combustion event will alternate steel chrome steel chrome etc. Dont know if it matters but cant imagine it hurting.

Sweet. One nice thing about that will be that you'll be able to tell from the soot in the headers either side when all of either type have taken their set.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:23 am 
Southern Airboat Member

kajunoutlaw wrote:

La's EPA has put a ban on Continentals due to exsessive oil leakage...La. has had enough naturak disasters without creating self inflicting oil spills or contaminating the air with all the oil smoke due to the use of Continentals.....

Prop is NOTHING BUT A WHIRLWIND!!!
RAZORX

Southern Airboat Member

kajunoutlaw wrote:

La's EPA has put a ban on Continentals due to exsessive oil leakage...La. has had enough naturak disasters without creating self inflicting oil spills or contaminating the air with all the oil smoke due to the use of Continentals.....

RAZORX

Southern Airboat Member

kajunoutlaw wrote:

RAZORX

Southern Airboat Member

kajunoutlaw wrote:

RAZORX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:37 am 
Southern Airboat Member

kajunoutlaw wrote:

RAZORX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:38 am 
Southern Airboat Member

kajunoutlaw wrote:

RAZORX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

No leaks on my ol wore out Clankinental generator ....LOL!!!

And JAMES needs to re-read my signature quote ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:37 am 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

MidnightSlider wrote:
Some states they outlawed continentals they proved to be too powerfull for your average boater comeonnnnnnnn

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:07 am 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Tony480 wrote:
JAMES wrote:
kajunoutlaw wrote:

CAUSE THIS IS THE SUN SHINE STATE :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:09 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

So got lots done this weekend, bead blasting and 2 oil pumps ready and all the bolt on stuff clean.
Pretty impressive as I worked 11 hour days Sat and Sun. Polish the piston tops?

Question number one. Do any of you do anything regarding oilpan, windage, mesh screen, scrapers, deeper sump, trap doors for slosh or is standard pan and pickup OK?

Question two is balance. My new O470 pistons look close but my TSIO 520 pistions are between 7 grams from lightest to heavyest, That not a problem but I measured lightest to heavyest rod difference is like 100 grams and all the same rod number. Do you guys do the big-little end balance or is it fine just doing total weight? Just surprised me that something "airworthy" would have that big a variance.

I guess 3 rd and I'll check but if you already know are mag drive shaft bushings pressure lubed or just splash. Looks like splash. Wont have mags so gears wont go in so just want to know for sure. Idler will go in just in case.

Thanks, Bill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:00 am 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Well building a rod balance fixture that achieved repeatable results pretty much took as much time as balancing the rods but they are +/- 1/2 a gram now :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:34 pm 
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Any oiling system modificatons benificial before I start putting these things back together?