Working on the site...

Site news and announcements.
rick
Site Admin

Working on the site...

Postby rick » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:25 pm

I know some of ya'll hate to hear that, but we have no choice except to keep SA updated. I've been working on a new template for the forum and need to get all of us using it while I'm working on the site so that there aren't multiple templates to add to "my confusion" (lol) during the process.

Hoping to bring back the portal page, which would be similar to what we had in the day.

This only affects the forum and not the classifieds or gallery for now.

...and just to get this notion going around, the picture gallery will not be compatible going forward. The gallery script has not been supported by it's makers in several years and that means that it will not work someday in the near future. I'd like to setup some kind of pictures archive gallery to keep displaying the 75,000+ images if possible, but I don't have that figured out yet.

If you have pictures in your gallery that you don't want to lose, you might want to download & save them now.

The new template will be set as everyone's default template here shortly.

Rick

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Working on the site...

Postby ffjpowell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:42 pm

Tnks for the warning Mr. Rick. With all the dang hackers getting smarter im sure ur busting ur rear trying to get it worked out for us to enjoy. We appreciate all u do. Tnk u.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve.

Live today like theirs no tommorrow.

New build on the way!!!!!! Stay tuned.

J. Powell

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am

Well I can tell that the upgrades have considerably affected browsing and navigating, the ads are slowing up page loading and entering text gets backed up, typing this i wrote 3 words and it took 15 seconds to load them. I guess Gerald has a point, get some stars under my avatar.
I never finish anyth,,,.

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:42 am

Are you on a phone or computer John.

Nothing has really been changed that would slow things down like that. So far it's appearance only and the template is basically the same as it was with the exception of the header image which is not that large file size wise.

Rick

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 am

On a phone, it happens on other sites too, also it seems the ability to switch to the board view setting to the old style is gone, I tried the link but option isn't there.
I never finish anyth,,,.

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:34 am

The slow typing thing might be your phone. I have an ipad that slows down if I don't reboot it every now & then.

You're right about the old style being gone. It's not compatible anymore. I may be able to replace it with something similar in the future, however there may be a quick fix that your phone's browser is capable of...most mobile browsers have a setting to view a mobile friendly website in it's full size version.

On a Android w/Google Chrome it's in the pulldown window that you get by pressing those three vertical dots in the upper right part of the window. There's an option to "Request desktop site" that will force the phone to show the full size version of the site.

On iphone w/Safari, you press & hold the reload thing up in the address bar, then it'll show that same option to "Request desktop site".

I did that with my phone and was surprised. I think I like that full size version on my phone too lol.

If you have a different setup than mentioned, let me know what it is. Maybe I can help find a solution.

Rick

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:10 pm

That helped on both issues, thank you sir!!
I never finish anyth,,,.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:10 pm

It did the same thing to me it did to John typing on my last post. I would type and I couldn't see anything populate. Then it would all appear seconds later.

Interestingly, it is not doing it now.

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Glad to hear it John.

mojoe, what kind of phone are you using?

Rick

Return to “Site Related”