SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dragonfly airboats
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Anyone run one of the 13' aluminum dragonflys and reviews? good or bad and customer service?

Post subject: Re: dragonfly airboats
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:53 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

PM sent.

http://www.light-headed.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 am 
Southern Airboat Member

So yall are either really friendly or nobody owns or has driven one. Theres no reviews or other videos on youtube other than the manufacturers so if you have any words on the subject please post them. I know they are somehow connected with mudbuddy and in the mudboat world they don't have a very good reputation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:35 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Not trying to be a di*k but when you don't get a reply on here it is because it has probably already been discussed before or no one is familiar with the subject.
Anytime you want to know something try the "search" feature first. If you are interested in that style of boat I would look at the Dixon Twister. You will find plenty on here about those.

:alabama:
:rolltide:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:48 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I did use search if you search dragonfly all you find is off topic stuff. and opinions can change or someone might have just got one yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

amk wrote:
I did use search if you search dragonfly all you find is off topic stuff. and opinions can change or someone might have just got one yesterday.

10-4. I gotcha. most people don't bother to use the search. Where you are located may also make a difference. I see that dragonfly is in UT.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:55 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

texas. Mud buddy is also from utah but alot of people run them all over the south. Im just curious because if you look at the video it looks like its running dry with ease and he "claims" it gets like 9mpg seems if it was that good everyone would have one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

if i were you i'd wait till a few people have one and then see how they do. the new mudbuddy mud motor is snapping off peoples boats, tiller handles breaking off, and even reports of the throttle sticking wfo.

probly a differant crew making dragonflies, but anything associated with mudbuddy is usually R&D'd by paying customers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:11 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

ya thats what i was thinking but i was hoping it was just me because they are advertising it well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:50 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

everybody wants a mini that will run dry ... yes they can be built to do that .. but .. it often is not what it seems. Many times the bottom is rounded .. the ground is hard and grass is slick .. the bottom coating is new .. the boat has to be set up exactly right for it to do it. A mini is a great for teaching someone about tuning a set up or a hull because every change makes a difference .. a big difference because of the limited power to overcome issues.

I have built a few mini's and I think there is no such thing as a point and go mini. It is all about power per pound of boat weight on the ground per sq, ft. then the shape of the bottom and everything else comes in to the mix.

If you want to go broke just chase that dream of building one to sell and make a living at it.

but if you keep it in the water and tune the setup and the hull just right .. well then you can have a lot of fun without buying a lot of gas .. frogs don't live on the hill and fish don't live on the hill .. if you got a small patch of dry ground to cross .. like say 50 to 100' wide .. yep easy to do ... just don't stop. other than that .. keep it in the water or else buy a bigger engine ...

just my thoughts on it .. everybody has theirs ... and that makes it fun ..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

all the minis look like fun, but in my limited experiance, a used 12' airboat with a 4 banger lycoming or a gpu is WAY better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:31 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Ya well this ain't Florida and they don't just sale 100 octane at gas stations like they do there in Florida. If I was in Florida I woulda had an airboat along time ago. The airboats around here are mainly airangers and those are like 60k brand new and get .5 mpg of supreme at 3.6 a gallon I know you gotta pay to play but good lawd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:35 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Really I just sall the dragonflys were affordable for a smaller engine boat that runs dry and gets good gas mileage and uses regular gas per their add..so I thought I'd ask about them and they are apparently to good to be true because no one has said anything good or even owns one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:25 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

well if u would fill out your profile all the way then we might have known where you are from and could tailor our replies to your particular area.

as for too good to be true ??? not if you are going to use it as a boat .. but if you are looking for an equivalent to a 60,000 air ranger then you might be disappointed .

start out with what you can afford and upgrade until it hurts ... thats what almost all of us have done .. at least it has been that way for me for the last 46 years .. not sure what the next 50 years will be like .. but probably about the same ..

JUST DO SOMETHING ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:19 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

well, i live in loreauville, la. and i have owned both big block chevy powered airboats and lycoming powered airboats, as well as gpu powered airboats. i run everything on good old 93 octane pump gas [with ethenol], and have been for years. i just add a little marvel mystery oil to the gas when i fill up.

The only thing i know about florida is they got hot woman and love airboats.

i just can't see not spending 5 to 10k on a good used airboat that is good on gas and will actually pass where it needs to instead of spending 15k on something that won't. but that's me.

i will say this, and i mean it from the heart..... if you are are worried about how much fuel cost, never buy a airboat. Fuel cost is the cheapest thing about them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:20 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

I know they use accel hulls and there real light but I wouldn't buy one knowing how bad the owner of mb is. Seems nobody likes him around Utah .. at least if herd of only 1 guy that likes him and countless others hate him.. as for the boats good friend of mine seen one get stuck in 6" of water and he was alone in the boat. I wouldn't spend the 16.000$ +

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:34 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

if you keep it in the water and tune the setup and the hull just right .. well then you can have a lot of fun without buying a lot of gas .. frogs don't live on the hill and fish don't live on the hill .. if you got a small patch of dry ground to cross .. like say 50 to 100' wide .. yep easy to do ... just don't stop. other than that .. keep it in the water or else buy a bigger engine ...

this statement I like..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , was seriously thinking of a mini airboat to start off with airboating, but I guess what Cntry says make sense.......back to the drawing board.! :drunken:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 am 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Still willing to meet you half way...

http://www.light-headed.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:31 am 
Southern Airboat Member

I need to try to get a video of what I'd be running. It's the Colorado river here in texas it used to be plenty of water for an outboard but now with the lakes so low Austin won't let anteater out so it's no almost a stagnant creek bed. I would be using the boat for duck hunts the bottom and area is all coarse sand/fine pebble with occasional log majority of the time is would be 1-3 inches deep and even just dry sand where you have to go around stuff. My buddy has an old Dixie hull with a moded 454 but it burns 15-20 gallons of supreme almost each trip and were only going 8 miles round trip maybe.

I guess when you say the fuel is the cheapest thing you mean you always got stuff breaking on your rig? Because aside from replacing the starter he hasn't had many issues with his over the past couple years. I can afford the gas I was just looking for a airboat (small manageable and efficient) didnt know if one existed but that's why I'm asking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:40 am 
Southern Airboat Member

Ughhhhh uh do what?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:41 am 
Southern Airboat Member

http://www.southernairboat.com/classifi ... rboat.html that air gator on page one of 10-14k boats seem good?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:10 am 
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

amk wrote:
. . . I would be using the boat for duck hunts the bottom and area is all coarse sand/fine pebble with occasional log majority of the time is would be 1-3 inches deep and even just dry sand where you have to go around stuff. My buddy has an old Dixie hull with a moded 454 but it burns 15-20 gallons of supreme almost each trip and were only going 8 miles round trip maybe. . .

If this buddy's boat that you are referring to is your point of reference,
it's no wonder you have such a skewed view of fuel consumption.
You don't need a mini to get five or six times better fuel mileage than that.

I have a 15' Rivermaster with a 472 Caddy that gets around 3 mpg with a real load.
It's no mountain goat, but would easily run what you describe when fully loaded.

Your buddy is only getting 1/6 of that if he is burning 16 gallons to go 8 miles.
I would guess average on a CM boat might be around 2 mpg, but even that is still 4 times better.

By NO means am I taking anything away from that boat (nor am I anti-mini), just pointing out that
it has room for improvement in that regard, and should not be used as a benchmark for fuel consumption.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:03 am 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Quote:
i will say this, and i mean it from the heart..... if you are are worried about how much fuel cost, never buy a airboat. Fuel cost is the cheapest thing about them.

Never been truer words spoken! It aint like your driving the thing to work everyday. If I can go have fun all day for $100 I am happy. Go do something in town all day for that! I'd rather be on the boat anyway but you get the picture.
From the way you describe your area a little dixon twister would suit all your needs.
Quote:
I would guess average on a CM boat might be around 2 mpg, but even that is still 4 times better

Just as another point of reference I get 2 mpg on a 14/8 DB with an LS3 loaded down with 4 people and camping gear in deep winding rivers. My buddy with the twister goes everywhere I go except long dry runs. I buy gas and pay $100. He buys gas and pays $20.
You have to decide what you want. A buddy once said, "Big horses eat BIG hay".

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:08 am 
Southern Airboat Member

if you get two mpg and run all day on $100 of fuel yuor going pretty slow i guess. I keep getting mixed responses to boats like the dixon twister I will not be going over long dry patches but there are areas that have very coarse sand humps that you have to drive across. Dry ground is very misleading because a boat will slide way easier on grass than dry sand.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:26 pm 
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

another option in mini's, www.shallowwaterspider.com

i see these now and then in my area. the dealer's customer service and reputation is outstanding.