SouthernAirboat.com   Pictures & Wallpapers   Classifieds   Forum   Weather & Water Data   Store   Calendar   Airboat Directory   Site Support  

By accessing or using this Site, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions as stated in the SouthernAirboat.com Terms of Service

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:52 pm 
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

PeaRiverOpossum wrote:
To drift straight in any boat, drag a piece of 3/8" chain about 1' long tied to your boat with a piece of 1/4 rope. It works great. If that goes too fast/slow...add/ remove chain links. Simple, cheap and works great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is hard to belive!!But I will try it. I had my Boat built for 2 swivel seats for fishing and have never used it because of being unable to control it. I love it for still fishing with Shiners with 2 people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

SteveReid wrote:
PeaRiverOpossum wrote:
To drift straight in any boat, drag a piece of 3/8" chain about 1' long tied to your boat with a piece of 1/4 rope. It works great. If that goes too fast/slow...add/ remove chain links. Simple, cheap and works great!

This is hard to belive!!But I will try it. I had my Boat built for 2 swivel seats for fishing and have never used it because of being unable to control it. I love it for still fishing with Shiners with 2 people.

Let us know how it works for you Steve. I grew up doing it on the river up in AL. We were too poor for anything but a jon boat and a paddle so we had to improvise. It worked great. The current would carry us down stream and we would drag the chain behind. You HAVE to use chain b/c anything else would catch up in the rocks.

:alabama:
:rolltide:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:03 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

Thanks for all the information. My main reason for an airboat is for duck hunting, but durring the summer I know Ill be fishing from it. Possibly getting into bow fishing and more into floundering. Plus I want to go where a normal boat cant go lol.

What would be smarter buying a used boat that works and customize it for my use, or buy a new one and have it built the way I want?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:31 pm 
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

QuackSmacker21 wrote:
Thanks for all the information. My main reason for an airboat is for duck hunting, but durring the summer I know Ill be fishing from it. Possibly getting into bow fishing and more into floundering. Plus I want to go where a normal boat cant go lol.

What would be smarter buying a used boat that works and customize it for my use, or buy a new one and have it built the way I want?

that's the 1,000,000 dollar question. It depends on how much money you have. it would definitely be better to have 1 built the way you want it.

:alabama:
:rolltide:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

I guide out of and fish from a 13' airboat in shallow salt water on Florida's West Coast. I rarely if ever work deep water flats with an airboat, except for pot holes in shallow saltwater flats. Drifts can be controlled, like Kenny said, by deploying a drag anchor made from chain or an old window sash weight. I usually deploy my one PowerPole and just let the spike kiss the bottom - that serves as a rudder and keeps the nose of the airboat pointed down wind so folks can cast ahead of the drift. Most of the time, I look for and find fishing spots that no other style of boat can reach. Great results often happen when I do.

Anytime It Runs, Break Out Another Thousand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

You need to decide if you want to spend 30 grand on a used one or double that on a new one. For the Texas coast I recommend 16 ft or bigger. Anything under that is asking for it in our big bays.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 pm 
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

21DiamondB wrote:
You need to decide if you want to spend 30 grand on a used one or double that on a new one. For the Texas coast I recommend 16 ft or bigger. Anything under that is asking for it in our big bays.

Yup right there!! Anything less and she will dip down in the rear and become fishin structure :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

For an airboat that's 18ft. What's the best power plant, aircraft or auto, diesel or gas? I want enough power to be able to run it on land. I don't want to start a war, just get some information

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:10 pm 
Southern Airboat Member

The only way to go with a big boat is a big block or new LS motor. Once again it all depends on your budget. If money is no object, which it usually is, then the possibilities are endless.